A few kilometers from the province of Sancti Spirits, in the central part of the country, is the Cuban province of Villa Clara. Founded in the 16th century, a little after Trinidad with the name of Villa Santa Clara, the historic center of the province is one of the oldest in the country and for many years has connected the different roads and railroads, becoming an important place for trade in Cuba. Several of our best homes for rent Cuba are in this province.
Traditionally, the city developed as fundamental economic activities the production of coffee, fishing and the sugar industry. However, for several years the province has developed tourism notably.
Unlike all the North of the city, the territory corresponding to the provincial Capital does not have large hotel facilities for visitors, so it has been taken as an alternative the rent of private houses so that the people who they travel to Santa Clara can be greeted and welcomed with hospitality and professionalism.
In addition to the system of keys with its beautiful pristine beaches of fine sand in which are practiced frequently activities of diving, sport fishing and marine photography, stand out like tourist attractions the zone corresponding to the lake of Hanabanilla and the Mount of Escambray. Close to the large natural park of collating stops, these landscapes are characterized by crystalline rivers and lush vegetation. The niche camp houses hundreds of visitors from all over the world every year, whether in private homes or in their small rural hotel located at the behest of Lake Hanabanilla.
Apart of its beautiful scenery, the area includes the history of the Cuban Revolution, since the mountains of the countryside were the terrain chosen by the Argentine guerrilla Ernesto Guevara to establish his base camp. The site is currently preserved and is known as the command of Che in the area and is accessed by climbing to the top of the hill. Close to the area we have amazing homes for rent Cuba.
The people most interested in history visit the square of the revolution of Santa Clara, which contains a enormous sculpture of Argentine Internationalist hero Ernesto Guevara, under which is located a mausoleum where rest the remains of the guerrilla.
Along with the remains of the well-known political leader and Cuban-Argentinian communist ruler are those of 29 companions who died next to him in 1967 during the armed uprising in Bolivia. The bronze statue measures 22 feet and was designed to pay tribute to the notable leader.
The area is known as the sculptural complex Ernesto Guevara and contains a flame that remains constantly lit, known as “The Eternal Flame”, which was ignited by Cuban President Fidel Castro Ruz on October 17, 1997, at which time they performed the military honors that gave way to the tomb of the exhumed remains of Che.
The city of Santa Clara was chosen as a place for the construction of the monument in memory of the takeover of the city, led by the hero in 1968, which constituted the decisive confrontation for the triumph of the Cuban revolution. Near the place, remain the remains of an armored train that Che himself derailed to prevent supplies of weapons arrived to enemy troops.
Come to visit Santa Clara and stay in our wonderful homes for rent Cuba, we ensure you a dream stay!
Exploring Santa Clara
Santa Clara, capital of the province of Villa Clara and head of the municipality of the same name, is a city located in the vicinity of the geographical center of the Republic of Cuba. Essential cultural square and significant industrial and scientific enclave of the Caribbean country, it is internationally known for the battle of the same name that finally gave victory to the Cuban Revolution on January 1, 1959 and for hosting in its soil the remains of the Argentine-Cuban guerrilla commander, Ernesto Guevara de la Serna and his comrades in struggle in Bolivia.
The city of Santa Clara was founded on July 15, 1689 by residents of the town of San Juan de los Remedios who moved to the center of the island motivated, according to documents of the time, by the permanent siege of corsairs and pirates, although historical research noted, however, its final seat in the local geography resulting from family economic interests. The event took place on the banks of the Sabana River, now War, a few meters from El Carmen Park, where a commemorative monument has been erected, since 1951, around a tamarind, heir, it is said, of the one who saw his shadow officiate at the founding mass of the settlement.
- Vidal Park
- Site-Museum Action Against Armored Train
- Abel Santamaría Provincial Museum
- Tobacco Factory Constantino Pérez Carrodegua
- La Caridad Theatre
- Museum of Decorative Arts
- Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen
- Parque del Carmen – Headquarters of the City Foundation.
- Park of the Martyrs.
- Pastora Park.
- Justice Park.
- Parque del Tren Armindado, National Monument of Cuba.
- Che Guevara´s Monument and Mausoleum.
- Cathedral of Santa Clara de Asís.
- Boulevard 1889.
- El Mejunje Cultural Center (El Mejunje Cultural Center).
- Loma del Capiro, hill overlooking the city.
- Provincial Museum of Villa Clara, with a collection of art, social and natural history.
- The University “Marta Abreu” of Las Villas is the secondary school of the province.
Santa Clara is peppered with comic book–style murals, the work of a local graphic artists’ collective called Melaíto, which produces a monthly supplement to the local Vanguardia newspaper. The cartoons change regularly, but there are usually a good selection splattered on the walls around the Vanguardia office near Parque Vidal.
Museo de Artes Decorativas
Something of a sleeping beauty on Parque Vidal, this 18th-century mansion turned museum is packed with period furniture from a whole gamut of styles that seem to ape Cuba’s architectural heritage. Look for baroque desks, art nouveau mirrors, art deco furniture and Veláquez’ epic Rendición de Brega (Surrender of Brega), reproduced on a china plate. Live chamber music adds to the romanticism in the evenings.
The eastern side of Parque Vidal is guarded by the thick columns of the neoclassical Palacio Provincial (1902), today home to the Martí library (9am to 5pm) and a rare-book collection.